Wednesday, December 02, 2009

"Because I love you"

One night at bed time, Evelyn started to cry for no reason. Her father asked her why she was sad, she replied "because I love you!" It's very sweet, but after a half an hour of such crying, I realized that she's forcing the cries just so she can stay sad. I can't help but wonder: seriously, child, must you be so dramatic.

Last night, she asked me to read Snow White to her. The story, like many princess stories, began with Snow White's biological mom dying to make way for the evil step mom. And of course Evelyn has to ask "why?" I told her sometimes mommies die because they get sick or get in an accident.
"So you'll die?" she asked.
"Not for a very, very, very long time, I hope," I told her.
She was quiet for a few seconds. Then, just when I continued with the story again, she began to cry.
"Don't die! I love you! Don't die!" This time, she cried real tears, and it broke my heart.
Oh child, my biggest fear is to not be able to be there when you need me. I will try my best to stay with you forever and ever.

No comments: