Sunday, October 04, 2009

Marrying

"I want to marry." Evelyn declared quietly after another story with a happily-ever-after ending.
"Who do you want to marry?" I asked.
She pointed at me a bit shyly but determinedly, "mommy," making me laugh.
I've heard of stories of little boys or girls saying that they want to marry their mommy or daddy, but hearing it from my own daughter still touches and trickles me tremendously.
"You'll grow up one day, fall in love with a boy, and marry him," I told her after I caught my breath.
"First mommy, then boy," was her solution.
For the rest of the afternoon, whenever I asked her to come hold my hand, be it going down stairs or walking into the parking lot, she'd run over crying "I wanna marry you!" before she takes my hand.
And I love you, too, little girl.

No comments: