Monday, September 14, 2009

Imaginative play

Evelyn loves to pretend play. Not just with toys, but with imaginary items or characters as well. For example, she is very fond of the step mother and step sisters of Cinderella. Sometimes, she would pretend that these beloved characters are right here visiting. She would pointed to a corner of the room and tell me "look, mommy, my step mother and step sisters are over there". Right... her step mom, so... where does that place me? Never mind that. To her, step mothers are a part of fairy tales. Besides, when she assigns us roles to play I'm either the prince or the princess. I gratefully take this as an indication that she sees me as an equal play mate instead of a powerful, but very scary wicked witch. See, I am usually the one that, when she is clearly tired but wired to play, insists she leaves the fun behind and stay in bed for quiet naps. I have held her down physically disregarding her screaming protests in the past, until she tiredly falls asleep. I am also the one that would wage a battle of will with her, such as refusing to pick her up, and insisting that she walk by herself no matter how she whines; or call her on her antics and drag the child-turned-boneless-jellyfish back to her time out corner time and again until the required time was served. In those times, I see myself as a stubborn, merciless dictator. And yet, she still generously let's me play the heroic prince or the beautiful princess. How cool is that?
Once, though, the role play became a bit freaky. She was the prince and I was either Sleeping Beauty or Snow White, so I lay there as still as I can as she gave me the kiss to revive me. Only that the kiss lasted and... lasted...

No comments: