Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Movie time

Being raised on movies, when Evelyn was almost 2.5 years old, we decided that she's mature enough to sit through and enjoy a movie. We took her to see Up! in the theater. She loved the popcorn, loved the candies, and loved the movie. The whole 90 minutes of it. Only at the last few minutes did she start to get distracted by the purse I held on my lap. Since then, whenever there is something suitable playing in the theater, one of us would take her to it while the other gets left behind with baby duty.
I got to take the little princess to Princess and the Frog, her father drew How to Train Your Dragon and Shrek 4. So when Toy Story 3 comes along, it was my turn. Woo Hoo!
We got to the movie theater 15 minutes before the movie started. The little girl of course had to fall asleep in our short short car ride. But she woke willingly and happily in my arms as we raced into the theater, piping up to remind me about the chocolate covered raisins I promised her.
With the box of raisins in hand, we picked out our seats and settled in. We shared the candies, and cheered (quietly) when one preview is followed by another. When the movie started, she climbed into my lap, and we watched it snuggled into one seat. The movie was thrilling, funny, moving, and beautiful. When it was over, we walked hand in hand back into the sun light, back into real life, sharing thoughts about the story. Mother and daughter. A simple way to spend a typical afternoon. It was wonderful.

No comments: