Thursday, January 05, 2012

Happy birthday, dear child.

Happy fifth birthday, my dear!
In the dim morning light, the first thing you said when you woke up beside me was "Mama, am I five now?", and then you proceeded to ask if your legs look longer and if you've grown taller. I smiled and told you that growing up happens in little bits every day, it does not happen overnight on your birthday. Still, when it came time to brush your teeth, you showed me how you can reach the faucet now without your stool (in tiptoe), and how your pajamas look so much shorter on you then they did last night. After rinsing off your toothpaste, you made a funny face and felt a tooth with your tongue. With wrinkled brow, you informed me that you think that tooth is starting to wiggle loose.

Yes, my love, you are growing up so very fast. Maybe not overnight, but definitely in an alarming pace. You are tall enough for certain roller coasters! We are to register you for kindergarten this year! You are almost too old for some indoor play areas! 5 years. A blink of the eye. Looking at you walking in front of me, feeling your back as I laid my hand on your back to guide you, it is clear that you've shed the toddler chubbiness, and is well on your way to the awkward lankiness that I went through.

Do you know how much I love you? From the moment that I learned of your existence, you have continued to show me how amazing it is to be your mother. To watch you laugh and grow. To watch you explore and embrace new experiences. To listen to your songs and stories and thoughts. Even more amazing is to watch you take on your role as a big sister. Do you know how proud I am for how you take care of your sister? You helped Lauren onto the potty the other morning when none of the adults were available (I had to leave early for school), and waited with her until a grown-up can come help her. And all this done without anyone asking you.

Happy birthday, dear child. 5 years old, and on your way to so much more. You can't wait to grow up, to go to college (you'll stay home for it, you told me), to learn to drive, to wear makeup, to do all these grand things. My only hope is for you to also take it slow and love what you are going through now. There's no replacement for the present, for being 5. Enjoy it. I love you.

No comments: