Monday, November 02, 2009

It's all about bodily functions these days


Yes, I am an experienced parent with a healthy and happy (most times, when she's not busy refusing food or resisting potty training) two and an half year old. I've gone through the change, feed, burp, walk to sleep routines of taking care of a new born aplenty. But three-weeks-old Lauren is reminding me of the amazing effects a baby have on one's daily life that I've conveniently forgotten when awaiting her.
Such as the amount of laundry I need to do. One little person, and all of a sudden, our laundry has tripled due to, say, the four-shirt night during which her spit up soaked through four T-shirts of mine. Or the morning that I had to launder every piece of fabric in the bathroom because, after an "Oh my gosh did she just shoot poop that far?" incident, I found myself saying "Holly Batman! How did the poop get there?" at every turn in the bathroom.
There's also the number of wipes and diapers that we consume. I think new diapers evokes, in a baby, the urge to go. Numerous times would I be putting a fresh diaper on Lauren when all of a sudden, liquids and more surge forth. If I'm lucky, I'd have contained it within that wasted diaper. If not, here's another reason why the laundry pile keep growing. Speaking of diaper changing, I cannot help but have to mention the time when, stripped naked and poised over her bath water, she managed to pee on and on and on and on, pulling a Tom Hanks in A League of Their Own, creating a little puddle at my feet. And that is after getting half of my shirt and jeans wet. How much water can a little baby hold? Apparently a lot.
Little baby Lauren, she never seizes to amaze me. Most amazing of all is how she, like her sister, makes my heart ache with love simply by being here. She need not do much, but just gaze up with her big eyes, a little frown upon her brows, and I melt. Such is the power of a child.

No comments: