Friday, July 17, 2009

No, this is not just a beer pouch, my dear

"That's a cute top, where did you get it?"
I looked back at the bunch of students whom I only met a few minutes ago, and found that the question was directed at me.
I searched out the question issuer; fresh faced, slim, young, not an expecting mom.
"Um, this is a maternity shirt," I said quietly, suppressing mirth and the urge to gesticulate, like the girls in those afternoon game shows, in front of me while narrating at the same time "note the protruding abdominal section, the thickness of which has surpassed the chest, note how she waddles just very slightly and how she sits and stands up with a groan about her back... you guessed it! She's pregnant!" I might also flash the number 26 at times during the presentation as in "she is in her 26th weeks!"
"Oh," the student replied, and we continued the walk in a bit of an awkward silence.

No comments: