Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I Read

Do know that the little girl is currently 2 and a half years old.
The only alphabet she recognizes is "E".

When we're with the little girl's aunties, mommy is no longer the most important person in the world. No matter what she does, the "A-Yi's" have to be near. When she was getting ready for bed, it was A-Yi she wants as the person to brush her teeth. I had to tease her and open the can of worms that should have been left undisturbed.
"You want A-Yi?" I asked.
"Yes." She said.
"So mommy can leave you here and you'll be fine?" I asked.
"Yes." She said.
"How about if mommy go home and you live here with A-Yi's by your self?" I just had to ask."
"Okay." She said, actually not too surprisingly.
I could only laugh, and kick myself for even having to go there.

Then, during bedtime story, the little one of course only wants A-Yi to read it.
A-Yi said she wants to hear it, too, as this is a new story to her. So, I opened the book and began reading.
"No, no. Don't speak, don't read!" the little girl protested, and covered my mouth with her hand.
"You don't want me to read?" I asked.
"Yes. I read." She replied.
"Okay, you read." I held the book and stayed quiet, letting her take the rein.
We all stayed still and waited for her to pick up where I left off.
She stared at the page for a minute, as if mulling things over, then, she turned over to me and said, if a bit sheepishly, "I can't read."
"You can't read?"
"I can't read." She admitted quietly. "I can't read. You read."
Well, at least she knows her limits.

No comments: