Saturday, May 19, 2007

Mother's day and motherhood

As we stepped into the ice cream shop after our long walk on the trail, I noticed the little sign plastered on the counter. "Mother's Eat Free" it says, and with a jolt, I realized that includes me.

Now this is silly, for I embraced motherhood the minute I was allowed onto its golden path. It was my dream come true, and I never gave a second thought when referring to myself as mommy when talking to and caring for my little one. But somehow, I must have thought of being a mom a special treat, and I only get to play one in certain places among certain people, like at home or in the mothers group that I go to, but not necessarily among strangers in the outside world. Then, as I stood in the busy ice cream parlor where other moms, confident and sure of what they are doing, herded kids in and out, I was recognized as a mom, too, at the counter by people who don't know me, and offered the free serving. Holding the ice cream cup, I felt like I was given a badge of honor, was told that yes, my membership is valid, and I am not only allowed in the sacred club, but can will stay a member throughout my life time. I, am a mother. And I, get to eat free ice cream on mother's day. How cool is that?

No comments: